It’s that time of the year again where Bollywood gets ready, set go to toot its own horns. (I wonder if this year’s hosts will take a dig at all the filmy face offs happening this year.) I dug up a few candid shots from last year’s hooplah. Enjoy!
Meanwhile Filmfare has announced who’s up for dibs on statutes for the best talent in Bollywood for 54th Idea Filmfare Awards; and the nominees (in alphabetical order) are:
- Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na
- Jodhaa Akbar
- Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
- Rock On!!
- A.R. Murugadoss Ghajini
- Abhishek Kapoor Rock On!!
- Aditya Chopra Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
- Ashutosh Gowariker Jodhaa Akbar
- Madhur Bhandarkar Fashion
EST ACTOR (MALE)
1. Aamir Khan Ghajini
2. Abhishek Bachchan Dostana
3. Akshay Kumar Singh Is Kinng
4. Hrithik Roshan Jodhaa Akbar
5. Naseeruddin Shah A Wednesday
6. Shah Rukh Khan Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
BEST ACTOR (FEMALE)
1. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Jodhaa Akbar
2. Anushka Sharma Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
3. Asin Thottumkal Ghajini
4. Kajol U Me Aur Hum
5. Priyanka Chopra Fashion
BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE (MALE)
1. Abhishek Bachchan Sarkar Raj
2. Arjun Rampal Rock On!!
3. Prateik Babbar Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na
4. Sonu Sood Jodhaa Akbar
5. Tusshar Kapoor Golmaal Returns
6. Vinay Pathak Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE (FEMALE)
1. Bipasha Basu Bachna Ae Haseeno
2. Kangna Ranaut Fashion
3. Kirron Kher Dostana
4. Ratna Pathak Shah Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na
5. Shahana Goswami Rock On!!
1. A R Rahman Ghajini
2. A R Rahman Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na
3. A R Rahman Jodhaa Akbar
4. Pritam Chakraborty Race
5. Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy Rock On!!
6. Vishal-Shekhar Dostana
1. Abbas Tyrewala Kabhi kabhi Aditi – Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na
2. Gulzar Tu meri dost hai – Yuvvraaj
3. Jaideep Sahni Haule haule – Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
4. Javed Akhtar Jashn-e-bahara – Jodhaa Akbar
5. Javed Akhtar Socha hai – Rock On!!
6. Prasoon Joshi Guzarish – Ghajini
BEST PLAYBACK SINGER (MALE)
1. Farhan Akhtar Socha hai – Rock On!!
2. KK Khuda jaane – Bachna Ae Haseeno
3. KK Zara si dil mein – Jannat
4. Rashid Ali Kabhi kabhi Aditi – Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na
5. Sonu Niigaam Inn lamhon ke – Jodhaa Akbar
6. Sukhwinder Singh Haule haule – Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
BEST PLAYBACK SINGER (FEMALE)
1. Alka Yagnik Tu muskura – Yuvvraaj
2. Neha Bhasin Kuch khaas hai – Fashion
3. Shilpa Rao Khuda jaane – Bachna Ae Haseeno
4. Shreya Ghoshal Teri ore – Singh is Kinng
5. Shruti Pathak Mar jaawan – Fashion
6. Sunidhi Chauhan Dance pe chance – Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
(The 54th Idea Filmfare Awards will be held on the 28th of February in Mumbai. To watch trailers and follow the action click here.)
- At first, the awards were called Clares after Clare Mendonca, the Times of India film critic who died the year of the first awards, 1954. However, the name didn’t stick.
- The guest of honor at the first ever awards (March 21, 1954 at the Metro theater, Mumbai) was to be Gregory Peck. He couldn’t make it–his flight from Colombo, where he was on location for Purple Plain, was delayed. But he did attend the banquet that followed at the Willingdon Sports Club.
- In 1969 Sunil Dutt who lost it to Dilip Kumar in the Best Actor category organized a party for the thespian after the awards function. This started the trend of post-award parties.
- In 1975 Yash Chopra’s Deewaar swept all the awards except for the lead actor Amitabh Bachchan.
- Also surprisingly the biggest blockbuster hit Sholay won only one Filmfare Award in 1975 and that too for Best Editing.
- In the first Filmfare Awards ceremony, held in 1954, only five awards were presented – for the best film, the best director, the best actor, the best actress and the best music director.
- The awards for lyricists and playback singers started only after 5 years of the inception of awards.
- Till 1966 there was no separate award for male and female playback singers.
- Lata Mangeshkar refused to accept her first Filmfare award because the Filmfare statuette was designed in the shape of a woman and the woman had no clothes on. Since Lataji had reservations in accepting that nude statuette th award had to be wrapped with a handkerchief to be granted to Lataji.
- In 2006, Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s movie ‘Black’ won 11 Filmfare awards, the most awards won by a movie in the history of Filmfare Awards.
- Best Music director was the only category in the Music genre that started with the birth of Filmfare Awards in 1953.
- The top five Music Directors on the basis of number of times they have won the award are: Shankar-Jaikishen – 9, Laxmikant-Pyarelal – 7, A.R. Rehman – 5, Nadeem-Shravan – 4 and R.D.Burman – 3.
- Javed Akhtar set a record in 2004 when all the five songs chosen for the Best Lyrics category were written by him.
- The Doordarshan had an objection with Amitabh Bachchan’s performance on the Jumma Chumma number on the Filmfare Awards event as the movie Hum had not yet been released by then and the song remained uncensored. The channel threatened to sue Filmfare for this but the matter subsequently dissolved.
- In 1991 Dimple Kapadia gave a special award to husband Rajesh Khanna for completing 26 years in the film industry. In the same year Gulzar gave an award to his ex-wife Rakhee in the Best Supporting Actress category for Ram Lakhan and while handing over the trophy Gulzar in a very mischievous fashion said to Rakhee, “Aji Sunti Ho”.
- After winning numerous awards singer Lata Mangeshkar voluntary ousted herself from the Filmfare awards nominations so that fresh talents can get a chance. And after decades, in 1995, Lata Mangeshkar accepted the Best Playback Singer award for Hum Aapke Hai Kaun once again on popular demand.
- Vyajayantimala didn’t accept the award for Devdas in the Best Supporting Actress category because she thought she was the lead actress of the film and not Suchitra Sen.
- In the 25th year of Filmfare Award ceremony, the statue was made of silver, while in the 50th year of its celebration, gold status were given.
- They have their own set of Filmfare Awards down south called Filmfare Awards South. (Now while that’s totally legit I can’t help but think its because the Bollywood fashion police may go ballistic if they were to see someone dressed like this walk down the red carpet!)